Finding the best in Lasik Eye Surgeons
If you’re reading this article, you’ve probably already decided that Lasik Surgery is right for you. Congratulations! You’re on your way to better vision. Now let’s talk about the most important decision that you’ll make this year – choosing the best in Lasik Eye Surgeons to help you get the best vision possible. You’ve probably seen the ads on TV and listened to the ads on the radio. Everyone wants you to pick them for your Lasik Surgery based on a 30 second ad. This may be a starting point but certainly not the only way to make a wise choice in Lasik Eye Surgeons.
OK, where else should I look for Lasik Eye Surgeons?
Begin your search by talking to friends, family and people at work. Who do you know that has had Lasik Surgery? Did they have a good outcome? Would they recommend their surgeon to you?
Talk to your family doctor whose judgment you trust to see if they have Lasik Eye Surgeons who they would recommend.
Ask for a referral from your regular eye doctor. Chances are they’ve been asked this question many times and have a list of Lasik Eye Surgeons they would recommend.
Look in the Yellow Pages of your phone book for refractive surgery centers and Lasik Eye Surgeons in your area. Many will list their websites so that you can review their procedures, policies and prices from the comfort of your home.
What to look for in Lasik Eye Surgeons?
Look for a Lasik Surgeon who is associated with an academic medical center or teaching hospital and one that has a reputation for advanced technology. You’ll want to make sure that the Lasik Surgeon you choose has been keeping up with modern advancements in Lasik Eye Surgery and is current with new techniques. To be sure of this, ask if your Lasik Surgeon is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. When it comes to your eyes, you can’t be too careful.
What to ask your Lasik Surgeon before your surgery
Take a notebook and start writing down questions now to ask at your consultation appointment. Don’t be afraid to ask every question on your list. If your Lasik Surgeon is offended or impatient with all of your questions, keep looking. He or she’s not the right one for you. Here are some starting questions to ask and things for you to think about:
- How long has your Lasik Surgeon been performing Lasik surgery? Look for at least 3 years. The more experience the better but if your surgeon tells you he’s been using a laser for more than 12 years, be wary. Lasik was first available in 1995.
- How many eyes has he performed Lasik on? Look for at least 500.
- Will your Lasik Surgeon provide you with names and phone numbers of several previous patients who have had the same surgery? If your surgeon is hesitant to do this, look elsewhere.
- What percentage of your surgeon’s Lasik patients has achieved 20/20 vision after their eye surgery? 50% is common.
- Does your Lasik Surgeon make you feel like an important patient? Or do you feel like one in a long list of patients that they will see that day?
- Will your Lasik Surgeon spend extra time with you to make sure that all your questions are answered? Is your surgeon genuinely interested in you as a person?
- Did your Lasik Surgeon work to gain your trust during your consultation? If something doesn’t ‘feel right’, follow your instincts and choose another surgeon.
- Finally, will your Lasik Surgeon be following up with you after your surgery? Or does he expect you to return to your local eye doctor for any problems?
When it comes to our eyes, no one wants to take chances. We all want the assurance that our surgeon is the best! Lasik laser surgeries are simple, fast and successful. Take advantage of this advanced technology but first do everything to put your eyes in the best hands.